The editors of Power Engineering and Renewable Energy World magazines are pleased to announce the 2017 Project of the Year Finalists.
Fourteen outstanding power projects were selected from industry-nominated projects in five categories: Coal, Combined Heat & Power (CHP), Energy Storage, Natural Gas, and Renewables.
To be eligible, projects must have come online between Aug. 1, 2016 and July 31, 2017. Editors from Power Engineering and Renewable Energy World selected the finalists based on innovation, local and industry impact, and the ability to overcome logistical challenges.
The winning projects in each category will be announced Dec. 5 during the Keynote session at POWER-GEN International 2017 at the Las Vegas Convention Center. More than 1,400 exhibiting companies from every sector of the industry will be showcasing their products and services on the exhibit floor.
Project finalists were selected for each category. They are:
Best Renewable Project
- China Resources Power Holdings’ Ningxia Haiyuan Xihua Mountain Wind Farm
- PG&E’s Blue Lake Rancheria Microgrid
- DC Department of General Services Rooftop Solar Arrays
Best Energy Storage Project
- GENSA Energy Gestor Colombia Microgrid
- Imperial Irrigation District Battery Energy Storage System
- Southern California Edison’s Hybrid Battery / Gas Turbines
Best Coal-Fired Project
- NRG Energy’s Petra Nova Carbon Capture Retrofit
- China Resources Power Holdings’ Hezhou Power Plant
- Wisconsin Power and Light’s Edgewater Unit 5 AQCS
Best CHP Project
- NRG Energy’s Corporate Headquarters
- China Resources Power Holdings Cangzhou Heat and Power Cogeneration Power Plant
Best Gas-Fired Project
- Grand River Energy Center Combined Cycle Unit 3
- Exelon Wolf Hollow
- Burullus Power Plant
“Companies like those represented by this year’s project finalists are instrumental in meeting public demands for cleaner, more efficient electricity,” said Richard G. Baker, publisher of Power Engineering and senior vice president of PennWell’s Power Generation Group. “Power Engineering and Renewable Energy World are once again pleased to be able to recognize some of the exceptional power projects that were completed in the past year.”
The greatest minds in power generation will be gathering in Las Vegas Dec. 5-7 for POWER-GEN International to discuss the technology, operation and regulation of power generation. The most innovative and cost-effective solutions for maintaining, operating and building new power generation will be shared with more than 20,000 attendees. To register, click here.