Electricians without Borders Define Efficiency & Service

Electricians without BordersElectriciens sans Frontieres, which would translate to “Electricians without Borders” in English, is an amazing organization that wasn’t on my radar until very recently. While only employing 7 people, it utilizes 1000 volunteers in 38 countries. As you might guess from its name, Electriciens sans Frontieres helps to bring electricity to those without it. It also mobilizes support in order to help people struck by emergency humanitarian disasters.

Working in countries where the government can’t or doesn’t provide basic services, the activity split of Electriciens sans Frontieres (ESF) is as follows: 73% Africa, 21% Southeast Asia, 6% South America.

As is often the case with organizations or companies providing electricity to the developing world, solar energy technology is the technology of choice. 70% of ESF projects use solar energy. The other 30% use other renewables, a mix of renewables, or fossil fuel powered generators.

From helping to provide electricity to schools and health centers in Africa to disaster relief in Haiti in 2010, ESF has helped countless lives in priceless ways.

Aside from the 208 projects it has completed in 38 countries, benefiting an estimated 3.5 million people, it is currently working on 124 projects in 35 countries… all with just 7 employees.

Electriciens sans Frontieres is one of five finalists in the nonprofit category of the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize. It may not be the most well known, but its tremendous efficiency, effectiveness, and service certainly makes it a contender for the prize.

To learn more about the organization, visit its website.

Originally published on Sustainnovate.

Previous articleOne of the Oldest Clean Energy Organizations on the Planet
Next articleThe World Resources Institute: Advancing Climate Change Solutions Since 1982

No posts to display