Wind Power Agreement to Save $20 M over 10 Years

Constellation Energy has been awarded a 10-year contract to provide wind power to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC), which will meet WSSC’s goal of using wind power for a third of its electricity needs.

According to WSSC General Manager Andrew Brunhart, the agreement will lower the agency’s energy expenditures by an estimated $20 million dollars over 10 years. “WSSC is one of the most forward-thinking organizations in energy usage and purchasing,” said Gregory Jarosinski, president and CEO of Constellation Energy Projects & Services Group. “Initially, we worked with WSSC to help reduce and manage the agency’s energy load, then worked as a team to achieve energy risk management.” The wind power for the WSSC agreement will be generated by a project developed by Edison Mission Group (EMG), a subsidiary of Edison International in Somerset County, Pa. Constellation NewEnergy (CNE) won a competitive bid for the 10-year, 30-megawatt power purchase agreement (PPA). Beginning Jan. 1, 2008, WSSC will receive 85 percent of the wind project’s power output; CNE will retain and market the remaining 15 percent. Constellation Energy, through its subsidiary, Constellation Energy Projects & Services, has a long-established relationship with WSSC as energy consultant and risk manager.
Previous articleSierra Geothermal Receives Drilling Permit in Nevada
Next articleAbilene Jurors Defend Texas Wind Farm

No posts to display