- Principles of forestry
- Agenda 21
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification
- Convention on Biological Diversity
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
In the framework of national and international forestry policies of Turkey, it is necessary to evaluate the Forest Biomass and its share in energy:
- Biomass is defined as the storage of green plants by converting solar energy into chemical energy by the use of photosynthesis.
- The energy which is attained by biomass is called ‘biomass energy’.
- Plants are continuous sources that can store solar energy.
- %90 of these alive batteries that can store solar energy is comprised of suns.
The biomass energy which is still generated from:
- % 64 of wood and wood wastes
- Thin diameter materials which emerges during forest developments and maintenance
- Rasping and chippings of forest industry
- Unused woods
- %24 of municipality wastes
- %5 of agricultural wastes
- Agricultural wastes and scraps
- Rinds of fruit (olive seeds, nutshells)
- %5 of landfill gases
General Directorate of Forests calculates the biomasses that extracted from our forests as 5-7 million tons.
Labor for collection and chipping of forest waste(TL)
Labor for collection and chipping of forest waste (TL)
Central labor cost (TL)
Transportation Fuel Expense (TL)
Transportation Management Expense (TL)
Transportation Labor Expense (TL)
Total Transportation Management + Labor (TL)
Annual earnings of a power a power plant which consumes 100.000 tones of wood per year based on wastes of forest manufacturing
collection and chipping of forest waste (TL)
|Amount of annual biomass fuel taxes included (TL)||Annual Operating Expenses (TL)||Annual Fuel-Operating Expenses (TL)||Total Annual Electric Revenues (TL)||Annual Net Earnings (TL)|
BIOMASS POWER PLANT INITIAL INVESTMENT COSTS
Since there aren’t any wood plants in Turkey which would generate electricity for commercial purposes, there are no examples for calculating the initial investment costs of power generation facilities that are based on wood energy. When initial investment costs of biomass power plants around the world are studied the approximate investment cost per installed power seems to vary between 1.200.000 $/MW-1.500.000 $/MW.
While biomass power plant initial investment costs are being determined, the table for amount of the total volume of investment on web site of Market Regulatory Authority (EMRA) is taken into consideration. For biomass facilities, the cost which is given per megawatt installed power 1.900.000 TL/MWistaken as basis.
Biomass plant total amount of unit investment = 1.900.000 TL/MW
In these calculations, installed powers of direct incineration plants are regarded as 9 and 22,5 MW while those of gasification plants are regarded as 10 and 25 MW.
The investment cost of a gasification plant of 9 MW installed power approximately equals to 9×1.900.000 and 17.100.000 TL.
Installed Power (MW)
Investment Cost (TL)
Cost ofcollection and chipping of forest waste (TL)
Annual Net Earnings of the Facility (TL)
Time to cover the cost of investment (year)