In 1904, Prince Piero Ignore Conti generated electricity from a generator driven by steam from a natural geothermal system at Lardarello, Italy. That first experimental system was upgraded to a commercial power plant in 1913 that is still producing power 100 years later demonstrating the durability and practicality of using the earth’s heat to produce power commercially. It would be some 45 years before other commercial geothermal plants would be built at Wairaki Station in New Zealand and the Geysers in California in 1958 and 1960.