The plethora of geothermal sites in Nevada, California, Alaska, Oregon, and Idaho is an immediate takeaway in our geothermal Graph of the Week. The data is derived from a 2008 U.S. Geological Survey study that assessed the electric power generation potential of conventional geothermal resources (90°C (194°F) and greater) and found potential for a much greater role for geothermal in the United States.
With an average estimate of 5,404 MW, California has the highest identified resource, nearly double the state’s current installed capacity of around 2,700 MW. In total, USGS found between 3,675 MW (95 percent likelihood) and 16,457 MW (5 percent) of identified moderate- to high-temperature geothermal resources. The number rose to between 7,917 MW and 73,286 MW when factoring in undiscovered resources. The current installed capacity of geothermal power in the U.S. is around 3,400 MW.
This blog was originally published in the GEA's Geothermal Energy Weeekly and was republished with permission.
The information and views expressed in this blog post are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of RenewableEnergyWorld.com or the companies that advertise on this Web site and other publications. This blog was posted directly by the author and was not reviewed for accuracy, spelling or grammar.